National flags, colours and cultures
I. Preview the text :
1. Read the text carefully and complete the exercises in Part A, Part C1 and Part C2.
2. Fill in the blanks according to the text.
Every i____________ country has a flag _______ gives it a unique identity. A flag tells us something about the country it represents and s___________ the origin of that country, along with its v_________, beliefs and culture. The French flag was first used in 1789. Before the Revolution, many people died of s___________. The conclusion of the French Revolution led to f__________ changes. The colours used on the French flag are a visual r_________ of the motto of the Revolution. S______ by the Revolution, France became a different country. The USA was o________ an area colonized by Britain. Some colonists, as taxpayers, felt that they could no longer t________ not ______ a say in the government. _____ 4 July 1776, the Declaration of _______________ was signed. Then, the USA _______ from Britain. Each year on 4 July, the USA c___________ Independence Day, ________ the the ‘Stars and Stripes’ can be seen all over the country. Indonesia’s flag became _________ on 17 August 1945. The flag, _______ couldn’t be further simplified, is based on a national flag _________ back to the 13thcentury __________ had nine red and white stripes.
II. Translate the following words and phrases:
1. 饥饿n_______ v.)_________ 2.结束；结论n__________ (v)_______________
3. 平等；等同n._____ (adj)_______4.加强，巩固vt ________ (n)___________
5.有影响力的adj. ______(n/vt)____6.容忍，忍耐vt._______(同义词)____ _____
7.独立，自主n _______ (adj)______8.宣言，宣布，声明n ______ (v)_________
III. Sentence structures:
1.These flags are _______ ________(不仅仅)just colourful pieces of cloth and thread ________（缝合）together. （L1-2）
more than的意思： (1)___________（2）___________________
no more than ________________ not more than __________________
(1)Mr. Smith is ____________ our teacher, he is our close friend.
(2)He is ________________ a puppet.（他只是一个傀儡）
(3)_____________ 200 people attend the lecture.出席演讲的人不超过200.
The French Revolution was successful _____ ridding society of inequality, _____ had a great effect on many other countries, particularly ________ in Europe. (L20-21)
定语从句：（1.先行词 2.关系代词 3.关系副词 4.介词+关系代词）
Exx:(1).I still remember the day ________ I came here.
(2). I still remember the days ____________ we spent together in the countryside
(3).This is the book___________I paid 8yuan.
(4)This is the reason ______________ he was late.
(5).This is the reason ____________ he explained to me.
(6). This is the reason____________ can explain his being late.
(7).I went to the school ______ we worked ten years ago.
3.It can also _________ the fire ______ comes from Indonesia’s volcanoes, or the fact ______ the equator goes through the country. (L53-54)
同位语从句（1.抽象名词2.that不作成分，不可省略3.和定语从句的区别4.在suggestion, advice, proposal, recommendation后要用虚拟语气。）
Exx:. (1).His suggestion which Tom gave up smoking sounded reasonable. (T/F)
(2).His suggestion that came up at yesterday's meeting was proved true. (T/F)
(3) A word came which he would marry Mary. (T/F)
(4)It is no longer a question now ______ man can land on the moon.
A. what B. that C. whether D. which
4.Blue _______ ______ (代表) liberty and justice, _____white _________ (代表) peace and honesty. ( L17)
while用法：conj: 1).当…时候；和…同时 2).虽然；尽管（=although）3).而；然而（表示对比）4_只要(=as long as)
Exx: ①. Strike while the iron is hot.（译）_____________________________.
③ I do every single bit of housework _____ my husband Bob just does the dishes now and then.
A. since B. while C. when D. as
④._____ I admit that he is not perfect, I do actually like him.
A. While B. Since C. Before D. Unless
1. The English Romantic poets, ______ they are now known, were very interested in what was happening in the rest of the Continent.
A. which B. that C. as D. what
2. The new suit interested me much but the seller ______ too much for it.㈥
A. paid B. charged C. offered D. sold
3. The company is quite _____ skilled workers, so it has to reduce the productions.
A. absent of B. short of C. lack for D. short for
4. -----Did your father come back early last night?
-----Yes. It was not yet eight o’clock ______ he arrived home.
A. before B. when C. that D. until
5. When I go out in the evening I use the bike ______ the car if I can.
A. rather than B. other than C. better than D. more than
6. -----I’m going to the post office.
-----________ you are there, can you get me some stamps?
A. As B. While C. Because D. If
7. Maybe all Americans realize that __________ they expect to be next president will face masses of problems.
A. who B. whoever C. whomever D. no matter who
8. -----Why are you looking pleased ?
-----Oh, I’ve just had a job _________.
A. to offer B. offering C. offered D. being offered
9. Tough __________ the task was, we _______ finish it ahead of time and therefore we were highly praised for it.
A. though; would B. although; had to C. as; were able to D. though; must
10. ___________ I toured the Great Wall, I was deeply impressed with the beautiful scenery.
A. For the first time B. At first C. It was the first time D. The first time
11.We can never expect bluer sky unless we create less polluted world.
A. a; a B. a; the C. the; a D. the; the
12. Would you please keep silent? The weather report ______ and I want to listen.
A. is broadcast B. is being broadcast
C. has been broadcast D. had been broadcast
13. It’s helpful to put children in a situation _______they can see themselves differently.
A. that B. when C. which D. where
14. The fact has worried many scientists ______ the earth is becoming warmer and warmer these years.
A. what B. which C. that D. though
15. —Is there any possibility you could pick me up at the airport ?
A. when B. that C. whether D. what
Many people who work in London prefer to live outside it, and to go in to their offices or schools every day by train, car or bus, even though this means they have to get up early in the morning and reach home late in the evening.
One advantage of living outside London is that houses are cheaper. Even a small flat in London without a garden costs quite a lot to rent. With the same money, one can get a little house in the country with a garden of one’s own.
Then, in the country one can rest from the noise and hurry of the town. Even though one has to get up earlier and spend more time in trains or buses, one can sleep better at night and during weekends and on summer evenings, one can enjoy the fresh, clean air of the country. If one likes gardens, one can spend one’s free time digging, planting, watering and doing the hundred and one other jobs which are needed in a garden. Then, when the flowers and vegetables come up, one has the reward of one who has shared the secret of Nature.
Some people, however, take no interest in country things: for them, happiness lies in the town, with its cinemas and theatres, beautiful shops and busy streets, dance-halls and restaurants. Such people would feel that their life was not worth living if they had to live it outside London. An occasional walk in one of the parks and a fortnight’s (two weeks) visit to the sea every summer is all the country they want: therestthey are quite prepared to leave to those who are glad to get away from London every night.
1. Which of the following statements is NOT true?
A. People who like country things prefer to live outside the city.
B. People who work in London prefer to live in the country.
C. Because of certain disadvantages of living outside London, some people who work in London prefer to live inside London.
D. Because of certain advantages of living outside London, many people who work in London prefer to live outside London.
2. One can use the same money for ____ to buy a little house with a garden in the country.
A. getting a small flat with a garden B. having a small flat with a garden
C. renting a small flat without a garden D. buying a small flat without a garden
3. When the flowers and vegetables in the garden come up, those _______ have the reward of one who has shared the secret of Nature.
A. who live in the country B. who have spent time working in the garden
C. who have a garden of their own D. who have been digging, planting and watering
4. People who think happiness lies in the town would feel that _______ if they had to live it outside London.
A. their life was meaningless B. their life was invaluable
C. they didn’t deserve a happy life D. they were not worthy of their happy life
5. The underlined wordrestin the last paragraph refers to ________.
A. the rest time B. the rest people
C. the rest of the country D. the rest of the parks and of the sea
1.independent 2.that/which 3. symbolizes 4. values 5. starvation 6. fundamental 7.reminder 8. Strengthened 9. originally 10. tolerate 11. having 12. On 13. Independence 14.split 15.celebrates 16. when 17. official 18. which 19. dating 20. that
1. starvation/starve 2.conclusion/conclude 3. equality/equal 4. strengthen/strength 5. influential/ influence 6.tolerate/stand/bear 7. independence/independent 8. declaration/declare 9.symbolic/ symbol 10. spiritual/spirit 11. considerate/consider/consideration 12. substitute 13. optional 14. honesty 15.have a link with/relate to 16. have a say 17. substitute…with 18. go through the whole country 19. die of starvation 20. remind sb of sth 21. rid society of inequality 22. date back to 23. stand for 24. have a great effect on 25.correspond to 26.resign oneself to
句型结构：趁热打铁。 There will be life while there is water and air.
一．CBBBA BCCCD ABDCB
二 阅读 BCBAC
上一条：Module 9 Unit 4 Exercises
下一条：Module9 Unit 3 Project
| 地址：江苏省淮安市淮阴区长江西路219号 | 邮编：223300 | 校长信箱：email@example.com | 苏ICP备06047561号-1