Reading Witnessing Time
1. Get the students to know the Acropolis by reading the passage
2. Train the students’ reading skills.
Read the passage carefully and then do Tor F questions:
1. The ancient Greeks made contributions to Western civilization in maths, art, theatre, science, philosophy etc.
2. The Acropolis was built in honor of Athena, the God of Athens.
3. Marathon, a long distance race, was named after a soldier called Marathon.
4. The Parthenon is the biggest of the three temples.
5. The Acropolis was mainly destroyed by natural forces.
6. In 1801, an English man stole many of the best sculptures from Greece to England.
7. The restoration made some of the buildings more secure than they had been.
8. It was after the year 1987 that people made much progress in reconstructing the monument.
Difficult points: the sentence structures
I. Words and phrases:
1.defeat vt. & n.击败，战胜，失败
the defeat of a lifelong dream _________________
He defeated the champion in three sets.
win / beat / defeat / conquer
1) Some countries may __________________ but can never __________________.
2) The most important thing is not to admit __________ until you really to.
3) It was not until the third match in 1790 that he finally __________ Humphries and became Champion of England.
4) The short boy ___________ the race.
2. seize vt.抓住（时机等）；夺取，占领
seize control of __________________
The anti-government force seized control of the government.
After a short battle, the French were defeated and the city of Quebec was _______________.
A. grasped B. seized C. covered D. controlled
3. appoint vt. ________, _________, __________, _________ n. _____________
at the appointed time_____________ appoint a time for the meeting_______________
appoint sb. to the post of ________________和某人约会_______________________
4. occur vi. ______________ ;______________________
Did it ever occur to you that our planet would be destroyed? (译)______________________
It never occurred to me to phone you.(译)_______________________________________.
5. undertake vt._____________ ;________________
The trainees are required to undertake group activities. (译)___________________________
He undertook to be /act as our guide. (译)________________________________________
6. bother vt./vi. ________ ,__________;__________ 后常接about / with/ doing/ to do，通常用在否定句或疑问句中。
7. They were responsible for many advances in philosophy, science,…(P.18 L.3)
be responsible for __________________;____________________;____________________
Eg.1) The careless driver was responsible for the accident.
2) The Sales Department is responsible for the sales of the products.
3) Cigarette smoking is responsible for about 90% of deaths from lung cancer.
8.In particular①, we associate②ancient Greek civilization with the capital city of Athens, the greatest symbol of which is the Acropolis.③(P.18 L.17)
in particular ____________ = _____________
be particular about/over _______________
associate … with…_____________________ be associated with _________________
9. In 1816, these sculptures were transferred to the British museum. They are still on display there under the title of “Elgin Marbles”…(P.19 L.65-68)
under the title of(译) _______________;__________________
Works by many famous artists from China will be on show in the gallery under the title of “The Century’s Masterpieces”. (译)____________________________________________.
10. In a gesture to help preserve history, the Greek government established a committee in 1975 to undertake the …(P.19 L.92)
in a gesture to do ________________________; as a gesture of ______________
In a gesture to show their sympathy and concern, they sent the boy plenty of flowers and presents. (译)______________________________________________________________.
She gave me a smile as a gesture of welcome. (译)_________________________________.
11. After that, much progress was made in reconstructing the monument, particularly with the large amount of work in preparation for the 2004 Athens Olympic Games.(L.98-102)
He has made a great progress in learning English.(R/W)
They are collecting new material in preparation for the experiment.（译）
make preparations for = ____________________ ,____________________
make preparations against ________________________
1. No one has had a greater impact on Western civilization than the ancient Greeks.(L1-2)
= The ancient Greeks had __________ __________ _________ on Western civilization.
1) He has been working very hard all this year, so no one has made greater progress than him.（译）________________________________________________________________
3)---- Did you enjoy yourself at the party ?(2006四川)
---- Yes,I’ve never been to __________ one before .
A.a more excited B.the most excited C.a more exciting D.the most exciting
2. The Western or Roman alphabet is a Greek invention, as is the marathon, which is a long distance race named for a Greek messenger who ran from Marathon to Athens to report a victory at the battle of Marathon in 490BC.(L.6-11)
3. It was built there so that it was convenient for everyone to get to.(L.26-28)
If you are convenient, please come to meet me at the airport.(R/W)
A. Multiple choices
1. What___________ you__________ such a heavy snow?
A. do / associate B. are / associated with C. do / associate with D. are / associated
2. It’s up to the person __________ the factory to decide whether to sign the contact or not.
A. in the charge of B. take responsibility for C. responsible for D. in charge
3. You will not be___________ about your food in time of great hunger.
A. special B. especial C. particular D. specific
4. Paper was invented by ancient Chinese,_____________ gunpowder.
A. as is B. as was C. as did D. as
5. Mr Jones has been _________ to act as manager of the Sales Department.
A. pointed B. regarded C. become D. appointed
6. George _____________ the good chance to present his proposal to the director, and at last, it was adopted.
A. realized B. seized C. delivered D. released
7. Your story is perfect; I’ve never heard ___________ before. (2006全国)
A. the better one B. the best one C. a better one D. a good one
8. I noticed her eyes ________, because they were such an unusual color.
A. in common B. in general C. in particular D. in total
9. The old lady had one son and two daughters, _________ treated her well, __________ made her sad.
A. no one of whom; that B. neither of whom; what
C. none of whom; which D. none of them; as
10.----Why did she spend so much time searching shop after shop only for a blouse?
----Oh, she is very _________ about her clothes.
A. pleased B. worried C. particular D. curious
11. Nearly all trees have seeds that fall to the ground,__________ and eventually produce new seeds.
A. taking roots B. take root C. to take roots D. took root
12. You should try your best to _____________ the difficulty in solving these problems.
A. smooth away B. smooth off C. smoothing away D. smoothing off
13.__________, bird flu does great harm to the people around the world.
A. Occurring where B. It occurs where it is C. Where does it occur D. Where it occurs
14. A ceremony was held_________ those killed in the explosion.
A. in honour of B. by honour of C. in favor of D. in hope of
B. Complete the following sentences by filling in the blanks using proper words
1. The accident has d__________ all his hopes of winning a gold medal.
2. The immigrations to the United States took r________ and began to think of themselves as native Americans.
3. There has been a g__________ increase in the number of families’ owning refrigerators.
4. When she discovered the t__________ of her bag, she went to the police..
5. The police assumed that the ATM had been destroyed deliberately, not just damaged u_____.
C. Translate the sentences
Module 9 Unit 2 Reading Witnessing Time答案
Key to T or F：TFFT FFFT
Difficult points: the sentence structures I1. be beaten ; defeat ; defeated ; won 2. seize the chance/opportunity; seize the political power He seized my hand , shook it and said how glad he was to meet me. B.
3.在约定的时间；约定会议时间；委任某人担任….职务；make an appointment with sb ; keep /cancel the appointment ; He has been appointed to be the manager of the sales department.
4. These plants only occurs in Africa; Don’t let such mistakes occur again; A good idea suddenly occurred to him 5. undertake a revolutionary task ; undertake responsibility 6. He won’t come, so why bother inviting him? This question is so stupid that I don’t want to bother to reply to it. 7. a b c 8. =particularly People associate this brand with bad quality. Many road accidents are associated with driving too fast. 9. We plan to transfer these books to the new library冠名为….来自中国许多著名艺术家的作品将在艺术馆展览，并冠名为“世界杰作”10.为了表示做…. 作为….的表示 为了表示同情和关心，他们送这个男孩很多花和礼物 她向我微笑表示欢迎11. =prepare for, be/get ready for 为了抵御…而作准备
II.1. the greatest impact Nothing has a greater impact on her life that the failure of the exam. C. 2. The film is boring, as is the music 3. wrong I]
III.CCCBD BCCCC BADA
1. defeated 2. root 3. gradual 4. theft 5. unintentionally
The beginning of the story is wonderful, as is the end, which leaves us much to think .
The committee appointed Mr Wang as the director
I don’t want to bother quarreling with them about/over so little money
In the south of the square stands a monument to the heroes who died in the war
In the south fo the square stands a monument to the heroes who died in the war
上一条：M9 U3 Exercises
| 地址：江苏省淮安市淮阴区长江西路219号 | 邮编：223300 | 校长信箱：email@example.com | 苏ICP备06047561号-1